2017-11-10

Star Trek: Discovery - Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad

I said I wanted this show to be more like the old shows, and it actually delivered. Unfortunately it didn't do it very well. It's a time loop episode. Every sci-fi does one eventually, but usually not until they're running out of more original ideas. In this case it's especially bad because it just reminded me of the one Dark Matter did earlier this year, which was much better. I miss that show already.

I don't know why he's here, but he's fun.
On the plus side, we got Mudd back (doing his best Q impression) and he's one of the more enjoyable characters in this show - even if I don't know why they thought bringing him back was a good idea in the first place - but that was one of the few things I liked about the episode.

Is that some kind of future-Arthur costume?
The main problem was that the episode was still focused on Michael, and Michael is boring. She wasn't even one of the people who remembered all the loops. It's especially weird that they made this a character development episode for her, given that she can't remember most of it.

His eyebrows are so weird.
It would have been a great opportunity to do an episode focused on the fungus guy since he was the one who was aware of all the time loops. I'd have enjoyed that much more since I like him, and he hasn't really been given much screen time at all so far. They seem determined to make it a single-protagonist show instead of an ensemble like the old ones, and I hate that. I'd also like to see more of Michael's roommate, Tilly. Or basically anyone other than Michael and the captain.

They seem to be having fun.
It's also weird that there was no resolution to the cliffhanger from the last episode. Did Starfleet order them to go rescue the admiral? I guess not. Why not? And what do the crew think of that? They all seem to have forgotten about it. It's like this episode was designed to be able to fit in anywhere after episode five because it's completely irrelevant to the ongoing story and doesn't reference anything that's happened before other than the fungus guy messing with his own DNA. And the episode titles are still real dumb.

Seriously, what is that if not a borg?
<< LetheSi Vis Pacem, Para Bellum >>

No comments:

Post a Comment